Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Certainty of Chance

I lead a mundane existence which is routinely assailed by mildly bizarre events. On Sunday I was buzzed by a Messerschmidt. Yesterday a rat suddenly ran into my shop, having been chased out of Curry's by an over-zealous pest control officer. He promptly disappeared behind our till and we didn't hear a peep out of him for the rest of the day. We assumed that he must have buggered off.

Today I arrived at work and turned on the PC. It was dead. I picked up the phone to call IT but that was dead too. I started to check the cables when I spotted a small brown pellet and teeth marks. Deprived of his evening meal, Ratty had feasted on our cables.

Once I'd found a working phone and spent an hour exploring the grey area between IT support and pest control, I mused on how a single rat could create so much havoc. It reminded me of Terry Gilliam's film Brazil, when a fly managed to create a whole chain of events.

No comments: