Saturday, October 18, 2008

Salinger on eBay

I've started going to car boot sales. Most of them are disappointing but I usually manage to find a few bargains to justify the trip.

The other week I found a 1964 paperback first edition of a Salinger novel and bought it for 30p. I put it up for auction on eBay for a modest starting price of 99p, then sat back and waited for the offers to come in.


Seven days passed and nobody wanted it. Not even for a under a quid. I've sold all sorts of books on eBay - many of them far more obscure than this one - so why didn't the Salinger find any takers?

3 comments:

Gonçalo Veiga said...

The crisis reached eBay!

pierre l said...

If Salinger had been in the news that week, then you would probably have got a decent price.
Unfortunately, there are many copies on abebook at £0.58 plus postage, so you're not going to make your fortune just yet. Sorry

Steerforth said...

Ah, that would be it then.

Rule No.1: Research your market.